Monday, October 16, 2006

Eyes On The Prize



Giants











On The Shoulders Of Giants - Liars and Thieves









I've been watching the PBS rebroadcast of "Eyes On The Prize" recently, the film history of the American Civil Rights movement. I saw heroes and giants, of all races, fighting for freedom. You see Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy, and also the everyday people of Selma, Alabama and rural Mississippi; tired people, no longer willing to wait for promises denied. I saw Catholic nuns and Protestant clergy, marching for justice. I saw young people of all races, taking on the challenge of their day, fearless young people struggling for the freedom of their fellow Americans, for as one civil rights worker said, "As long as one man is not free, then I also am not free, for our destinies are intertwined". It gives you hope for the future, that people like this once existed in this country. It gives you hope that, such people will exist again in our country, because our land is suffering violations and desecrations against who we really are. The people I saw in this film, are who we all, really are, and as they sang over and over again, "We Shall Overcome". We shall listen to, as Abraham Lincoln said, "the better angels of our nature", and as Americans ultimately have always done, we will finally begin to hear their words.

4 Comments:

Blogger Willowtree said...

I'm not sure how many people are still listening for the angels. I have such little faith in people, it is a problem for me.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

I know what you mean, but maybe look at it like this; for every Condoleeza Rice or Alberto Gonzalez you might run into,there's also a Martin Luther King and a Robert Kennedy out there somewhere, to even things out somewhat. It's just sorting them out, I think, then placing your faith in those who prove worthy of it. A threshing of the wheat from the chaff, I guess you could say.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

You'd almost have to be, to be involved with issues of torture, innocent loss of life, and the nonchalant treatment of Americans during Katrina, to be able to get up each day and sell those lies to the public. I hear though, that Karma is a real bitch, and she's been taking all this in, I'm pretty sure.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

Hehe Frank, is there wheat and chaff where politics is concerned? Hehe I guess there is, but the wheat aren't the ones making the headlines at all.
They're more like needles...in a haystack, underneath a garbage pile, in the middle of the ocean, or outer space or something.
I guess I have to put my faith in just knowing that there are some good ones out there. I have to start small.

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home