Saturday, August 12, 2006

Thank Ya Very Much












"Last night I saw the ghost of Elvis". Remember that song? ("Walking In Memphis", by Marc Cohn). Well last night I saw Elvis. Or it could've been Andy Kaufman; I'm not really sure. That sometimes happens late night, after a few too many fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches.Anyway, he's doing pretty well, been workin' out, playing some gigs; things are going pretty good he says. He's working over at the 7/11 by my house, so he's not dead, as so many people believe. Neither is Andy, many people think that he's just biding his time until he makes a reappearance; the ultimate Andy Kaufman joke on the world. Wouldn't that be great? (How about "Man On the Moon" by REM, with Andy, "...goofin' on Elvis"?).

Let's see...who else is really not dead. John F. Kennedy, that's one (became a vegetable after the shooting; was shipped down to live out his days somewhere in South America, according to one theory). Tupac Shakur; I've heard he's still making records wherever he's at, and a few have already come out! The 9/11 hijackers; some of the more recent conspiracy theory says many of those guys can be found walking around in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere in the Middle East; just livin' life, as it were. And oh yes!, the Enron guy, CEO Kenneth Lay, who "died" right about when he was set to begin doing some hard jail time for all of the Enron fraud he was involved with. Janeane Garofalo,formerly of Air America Radio (and still very much alive, last I heard), has a theory that Lay faked his death in order to avoid the jail time, and is probably living out his days on some plush island somewhere. Interesting. No, Very Interesting.

Have you ever thought that some famous person you knew about was already dead, but was in fact really still alive? That happened to me recently with country/rock/Tex-Mex singer Freddie Fender ("Wasted Days and Wasted Nights"). I thought he died about a decade ago, and then I read that, although currently very ill, he's still very much alive, and has been all this time. That was a little bit of a shock, in reverse you could say, but good to know that he is indeed, still around. And then Marc Cohn, the singer-writer of "Walking In Memphis", almost died here in Denver in 2005, after being shot in the head during a carjack attempt, shortly after he finished a concert here. So he's in the "almost died, but still alive" category, I guess you could say.

I really do wish though, that Andy Kaufman, the former Inter-Gender World Wrestling Champion, who used to wrestle girls to prove male superiority (until ducking out on a female body-builder/wrestler), and who certainly would not have been beyond faking his own death, would just one night walk on to Jay Leno, and say, "joke's on you!". Or, set up his record player once again, and eventually sing along (Andy fans know what "eventually", means here) to the theme of "Mighty Mouse" ("Here I come to save the day!...). Wouldn't it be great, to see him back once again?

I think we'd all say, "You got us, Andy, once again, you got us".

7 Comments:

Blogger Jocelyn said...

one time i read that hitler was alive and i believed it. it was in a tabloid. and i was 5. i did NOT even understand why no one was listening.

2:42 AM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

I've heard the Tupac is alive thing quite a bit too, someone went through numbers and all of the secret messages in his songs or something.
I think it would be cool if Andy Kaufman were alive. I think some of the media would drop dead if the Leno thing happened haha. People might run out of the building.
It would be even better though if something came out claiming that he was never even alive, not human- 100% alien. Haha.

Fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches??? Seriously? Like...fried?
I heard it in passing once, but I thought perhaps- a myth?

7:43 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

Jocelyn, how did I forget about Hitler? Why of course he's still alive! He's down in South America too, but they keep his brain in Switzerland, under a glass cover; just in case he should get any "ideas".

Willowtree,I was browsing across the 'net, and it seems there's some sites out their that say that Andy's still alive. There's this guy, "Steve Rocco" (that would have been an Andy name, for sure) who's been acting very weird while running for school board in Orange County. Been making a lot of weird, "Andy" references. Is he back/still here?

And the sandwiches are a true thing. Elvis even hired a special chef, to make them. And I really want one.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

I looked up the sandwich and there are restaurants that serve it (who knew?)
I looked up the recipe on an amateur cooks site- it's called Elvis Presley's Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich

1 small ripe banana
2 slices white bread
3 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons butter

In a small bowl, mash the banana with the back of a spoon. Toast the bread lightly. Spread the peanut butter on one slice of toast and the mashed banana on the other. Fry the sandwich in melted butter until each side is golden brown. Cut diagonally and serve hot.

Another site I read suggested drizzling some honey over the banana. They said it tastes great. I'm not sure if that is insulting to the man's sandwich though.
If you can be trusted with a frying pan Frank it sounds like it's a doable snack.
I would try it, but I usually only eat bananas baked in a bread or green hehe.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

Sorry forgot to mention-

If you truly want an Elvis sandwich, nix the butter and use bacon fat.

eat 12 - 15 sandwiches

wash it all down with a glass of buttermilk.

(the only thing I know about buttermilk is that I marinate chicken in it and that it's good to bake with. I never heard of anyone drinking it.)

12:54 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

Substituting bacon fat gives me an idea. Why not just include some crispy bacon in the sandwich, as well as the drizzly honey. I think the whole thing would taste fantastic!

Thanks for finding the recipe for the Elvis sandwich! I just might try this out sometime. It almost sounds as if one maybe should first get a physical checkup, to ensure suitable health sufficient enough to ingest one (or 15) of these!

I don't know about the buttermilk though. I think Elvis really did drink buttermilk with these, but then again, he was Elvis; he was the King!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

You know, I think the bacon and honey would add a good sweet and salty spin to the peanut butter and banana. You should try it if you can.

I would second that physical checkup though. Especially with each sandwich being somewhere in the neighborhood of- (and I have to tell you the type A in me didnt believe it and so I went to the cupboard and checked for myself) 36 grams of fat each.

I guess one or two on a daring day won't send you to the kicking bucket.
12 or 15? I wonder if that is true? Maybe it's something like 12-15 a day as opposed to in one sitting. I do not believe that someone can eat 12 sandwiches in one sitting (and not be competing at Coney Island or something). That's 12 bananas, 24 slices of bread, 36 tbls of peanut butter. It's unbelieveable. But then again, as you said he was the king.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home