Saturday, July 23, 2005

The Painful Reality


Daughter of Jalil Shaalan, a security guard at a local school, cries beside his body after he was gunned down in front of her outside of the school, Thursday. (AP Photo/Hadi Mizban)



This is a picture I saw in the paper on Friday as I ate my nice lunch at a nearby restaurant after a short day at work. I felt very sick at looking at this picture as I sat in this nice place eating an enjoyable meal, while these people probably don't themselves eat so well; and then to see this little girl crying at the feet of her slain father, it was kind of too much. I feel partially responsible for this, as an American, as someone who did not do enough to prevent an illegal, immoral war from coming to the land of Iraq, perpetrated by my own government, and resulting in a chaotic violence which has lead to the deaths of over 1700 U.S. soldiers, perhaps up to 25,000 Iraqis to date, and to the death of this man, and the resultant misery of his little daughter. This is the picture that you never see, in a war sold to us as necessary in the fight against terrorism. Since when did she become my enemy?
Perhaps now though I, and we, have become hers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Åñèè§å said...

it really makes you wonder why on gods green earth ....must ppl fight...and kill other ppl...when in the end the innocent are the ones that suffer...i feel so sorry 4 that little girl... :(

12:26 AM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

Whose enemies are we not?
Who will ever take care of...they never did mention her name did they?
It's like...we know the name of her dead father, but not the name of the living daughter. I think it's a way of still keeping us "off".

9:27 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

I was a little disturbed too (besides the whole horrific event itself) that the child's name was not included, as if she is just a non-entity. I was thinking later that maybe they just did not want to upset her further by asking this, although others around probably knew her name. This photo is very painful, very hurtful, but people should really know the truth of what is happening over there.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home