Saturday, June 25, 2005

Dreaming of Summer Vacation

I've been dreaming as of late about a nice summer vacation; walking along a beach, smelling the fresh salty air as a medium breeze pushes wavy whitecaps along the shore, with seagulls circling above, hovering in mid-air against the breeze as they gaze through aquamarine waters in search of their sustenance...

...Then I awaken from my reverie, and I find myself at work (dutifully completed) to pay for the things of everyday existence, and I realize that there is not much left, at least as for now, for a nice summer vacation at the beach. So, one must make do, and that is what I am doing at least for now. Since we don't have an ocean in the Rocky Mountains, I ride my bike around the local lake, which is quite nice, especially during the week with fewer crowds around. A combination of sand, sea, and sun, but in miniature. And of course, no summer vacation is complete without some summer reading materials, and so I'm also doing some (not so light) reading for the summer; I'm now reading "Big Trouble", a history of labor/capital struggles of the early 20th century, wrapped around the murder of a western governor. And after this, I may read Alexis DeTocqueville's, "Democracy in America", in which DeTocqueville tours through 1830's America, speaking with the common people about what makes the country work, as well as the notion of "civil society", and about the mutual aid organizations which came to be formed around this time. If I make it throught these two this summer, then along with my completed, "What's The Matter With Kansas?", why people participate in their own economic dismantlement, I will have taken a tour of America from its earlier beginnings, up unto where we are now, but in reverse order.

So, as you can see, a gentle beach and an overarching ocean would provide a nice and calming respite to the tumble and tumult of American history, so full of both promise as well as of presumption. But why does an ocean, and a beach, seem to center one so, to bring you back to who you are. Is it our primordial connection, a recognition that we too are mostly water, seeking only our own level once again?

3 Comments:

Blogger Willowtree said...

Candy is what brings me back to me. I think Im made mostly of candy also, so, I guess that's close to right. Actually, writing, crocheting or cooking is what keeps me centered. In my mind's life, I'm around 90 years old. I dont know how my body managed to be born so late.
I havent been on a beach (for good reason) since 2003. I used to like to go to Cape Cod for one of my classes back when I was in college. Now, that you mention it though, it really was a place to relax your mind.
Good luck with all the reading!

1:46 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

If we were to combine your theory of Candy, with my theory of Ocean, you know what the result would be...?

..Salt Water Taffy!(Har har arrgh!)

5:37 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

hehehehehe, silly.... but yummy!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home