Monday, June 20, 2005

Conversation

Here is some quotes from an old little book I picked up a while back at a used bookstore, by Andre Maurois, entitled "Conversation", a small collection of sayings and wisdom:

"To tell our friends the unpleasant things which others have said of them is but jealously seeking shelter behind false kindliness."

"A conversation devoid of silences produces nothing. There must be a gestation period."

"Advice is always a confession."

"One does not love a woman for what she says; one loves what she says because one loves her."

"Men so like to be talked about that a discussion of their faults delights them."

"Barres used to say: 'The evenings I feel incapable of intelligence, I pretend to be bored'."

"Conversation requires our undivided attention. Most men are absent from themselves."

"There are friendships and loves whose tone has been set too high. They never make us happy. Naturalness is the true sustainer of happiness."


Here's a late add on, which I think sums up nicely:

"I like what Madame de Sevigne used to call 'infinite' conversations where we talk of ourselves, of others, of little happenings, of nothing, without flash, fearless of silence, confidently and with abandon."

4 Comments:

Blogger Willowtree said...

I completely believe the first quote about telling someone something heard about them. I came to that relization a while back, but I know that there are people who do not believe that all, one of which is my very own flesh and blood. Go figure.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

I think that with some people (the minority)they will tell you of a situation like this, because they really think you need to know, and have genuine concern. But probably more will give you information like this because of issues like jealousy, or what the Germans call "schadenfreude", taking pleasure at someone else's discomfort, covered over by supposed "kindliness". At least that's been my experience at times. This especially brings a specific person to mind for me also, although not a relative (but given that we grew up together, might as well be!).

The last of all of these quotes I also find provides a nice sense of "recognition", although several of the others I do like very much also.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

my favorite was about silence in conversation. I ahve a friend who, when we speak, we are often quiet for seconds at a time (doesn't sound long but when you are silent, it is long). I just like being there like that, spending time together that way.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

The Beat poet Bob Kaufman took a vow of silence which lasted for over ten years after the assassination of John F. Kennedy, as a sort of protestation against violence.

Silence can sometimes say a whole lot more than words.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home