Saturday, June 17, 2006

Carousel



Out on a corner
on a cool summer evening
stands an old carousel top
made of stone and concrete
with no horses or children inside,
only a maze upon its floor

Majestically remembering
its one hundred year history
of children laughing and screaming,
of the honking of horns from the street
of the smells of cotton candy and of love
of the flickering light
and of the many, many nights of possibility

Brilliant lights, twirling famously
and vibrantly
round and round
red, green and blue
turning and spinning
endlessly
through the warm summer evenings
...
Evenings that might well never end,
as long as a carousel
maintains a singular
and noble vigil
over memories of other nights
now long gone bye

4 Comments:

Blogger Jocelyn said...

did you write this?
love it because it makes me love summer. and there's nothing better than that.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

Yes I did Jocelyn. It's about an old carousel top that is the only remnant of a century old amusement park that no longer exists (there's a new one with the same name, in another location, but that's a different story). It's the last reminder of a place that was a big part of summer life, if you grew up in Denver.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

Hey Frank, I didnt know you write poetry. I wouldve asked you for a poem to put on my page today :).
I'm allergic to summer, but even I remember being on the...we called it a merry go round, and having cotton candy, and the smell or popcorn in the air. Hehe, nice memories Frank. Thanks.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

Yeah, I try a little something from time to time. Haven't written much for a while, but I might try to do a little more.
We also used to be so excited, when the "travelling carnival" would be in the area. I still love to hear the little kids screaming with delight (and terror) on some of those rides.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home