Thursday, May 18, 2006

Kafkaesque???












So, I recently applied to tutor English and ESL at my university, and I go in to the appropriate office today to drop off required transcripts, and to check on any other needed items. It turns out that they state they don't have my application. When they show me what one looks like, I realize I did in fact complete it, quite extensively, and have already turned it in. I tell them to look for it, as I put a lot of work into that, and if they don't find it, then I'll do a new one. Well, when I get home, "Dewey" (a smarmy little bastard if there ever was one) from this office, has left a message telling me that they may want me just to do a new one, so that they don't have to "continue wasting their time" (direct quote) in looking for it. In fact, instead of applying for English/ESL tutor (an open position), which I have already been deemed qualified to tutor in by the process and by the appropriate authorities, he advises me to apply for the position of Anthropology tutor (a position which does not exist, there being no demand for it). Can you believe it? He knowingly advised me to apply for something that does not exist, so that when they received my "new" application, they could then file it away, and be done with both me and with any question as to the degree of competency that exists within their office.

When I went in to their office initially, at 1pm today, it was closed, and the lights were turned off. The sign said, "Out To Lunch" (appropriate, now that I think about that more), and believe me, it's not the first time that I've been there during business hours where, for usually unnamed reasons, they simply seem not to be open, though they advertise conventional 9-5 business hours. I tried to communicate a few of these issues to the "supervisor" on duty, but it was truly like I had landed upon the surface of Mars, and I was speaking a language called "English", while she was was speaking "Glibbity-Glorbb", or whatever language the Martians speak. People live so long within their incompetencies, that eventually they can only speak the language of their fellow surrounding incompetents; "X-ron dorf, gibbity-goo, yarchronic chnorf tabb!" I did manage to communicate back to her a, "chnrontif gleeb yacar Dean of Schools haruf marg I will be contacting haroof miyarg glarb! I really do hope that she caught on to that, but it's probably doubtful; too much English, and not enough "incompetentese"!

"With ignorance and arrogance, success is assured."
-Mark Twain

10 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

OMG don't even get me started on the school runaround. boggles the mind. i went through my own with the fin aid/registrar/cashier trifecta

8:54 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

WHAT? that's ridiculous
jerks
especially applying to a nonexistent position. maybe it is an integral part of their station on mars?

1:15 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

fin aid/registrar/cashier trifecta - ha hahahha ha.....

Those three words (plus hitting the "trifecta"); I can completely and immediately imagine the whole (sad, unfortunate, tragic, mindboggling...) picture, just from your joining those words together!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

It has something to do with the Martian environment, Jocelyn, I'm pretty sure of that. Maybe the lack of oxygen up there; something our Earth brains pretty much require, but they've learned to survive without somehow...?

2:25 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

Hmmm, is that something that happens once they walk through an office door? What they say doesnt make sense, and they know it doesnt make sense.
What about them wasting your time?
Frank, I think you have to go hand on the hip with these people. Seriously.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

Haha ha ha...I can see myself marching back over there, hand on one hip...then, no he didn't...the hand comes down on the other hip, and I give 'em a 2 hip hmmmmmph!!!

The wasting my time part was frustrating too. Putting all that together, and then seeing and hearing that, yeah, it will all come to nothing, and, yeah, we really don't care...hmmmmph, hmmmmph!!!!!

I wrote a letter to the Dean about it too. That's kind of a 2-hipped hmmmmph!!, I think.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

Good for you Frank! Someone needs to know that what "Dewey" is going on with is totally unacceptable.
I hope you included an English copy and a Glibbity-Glorbb copy just so the dean won't have an excuse for not acting on blatant evidence of Sub-par work.
Those people don't work for free, some of your money lines their pockets, yet they're acting as if they're doing you a favor.
What the hell?

7:05 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

That exactly sums up the situation in a nice little nutshell!
And who made up,"Glibbity-Glorbb"? I like that; it's funny!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Åñèè§å said...

its funny how ppl in admin give you the run around like that...and when u report them the stroy changes in a heart beat...

9:02 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

I'm hoping that there have been other complaints already, Aneesa. That'll give my complaint some more boost!

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home