Monday, January 24, 2011

If I Were A Carpenter




I remember hearing this as a little kid; and thinking how beautiful it was...you never hear it anymore....


If I Were A Carpenter
sung by Bobby Darin

If I were a carpenter
and you were a lady,
Would you marry me anyway?
Would you have my baby?

If a tinker were my trade
would you still find me,
carryin' the pots I made,
followin' behind me.

Save my love through loneliness,
Save my love for sorrow,
I've given you my onliness,
Come give me your tomorrow.

If I worked my hands in wood,
Would you still love me?
Answer me babe, "Yes I would,
I'll put you above me."

If I were a miller
at a mill wheel grinding,
would you miss your color box,
and your soft shoe shining?

If I were a carpenter
and you were a lady,
Would you marry me anyway?
Would you have my baby?
Would you marry anyway?
Would you have my baby?

3 Comments:

Blogger Frank said...

video version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjFRLOktHXo

2:54 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

This is a great song Frank, I downloaded it from you tube so I could put it in my itunes. The line that says "come give me your tomorrow", I was taken aback by it. The simple honesty of it, like a sunny day. Seems like a time long gone.
I will never forget reading a girl's blog and she was defending her decision to date a married man - she said - I don't want anyone to be responsible for my tomorrows. I was taken aback then too, a completely different aback.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

I hope you got to see the actual performance of the song by Bobby Darin at the link I posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjFRLOktHXo

I should have posted that link first in the original body of the post, but I saw it later, so...

The song, the performance, the whole thing just takes me aback, too. It was written by Tim Hardin, an old folkie from the '60's. Bobby Darin did the most well known version of it. I imagine it as almost in medieval times, ( a simple tinker making pots for trade, and his lady following him), but it's really for anytime, or timeless.

The lines, "If I worked my hands in wood, would you still love me?"

And all the others. wow. I just choke up. Nothing truer than that!

It moved me all day long today, as I sang it to myself.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home