Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I Think The North Koreans Zapped Me!

Well, the monitor on my IBM Thinkpad seems to have blanked out for some reason, although the computer is still running otherwise. I had recently found out that North Korea has a new Facebook page, and a new Twitter page, so I checked those out, and a day or so later my screen basically blacked out! I talked to a computer tech at a store by my work, and he seems to think some inverter or something probably just burned out with age. I myself am still suspicious of the North Koreans, although he's probably right (you never know!). Now, I'm in the process of finding a monitor somewhere to hook up to the Thinkpad (see, Willowtree, we really are the same person, just like I claimed before!). Fortunately, I have a nicer laptop my brother bought for me a few years ago, that I never use (because I like my Thinkpad so much!), but that's Wi-Fi compatible, and I was just using dial-up on the ol' Thinkpad; and I'm having a heck of a time downloading the dial-up software for the latest laptop (dial-up; which no one in America probably is using anymore besides me - so I really need to get with the times!). Hopefully, I'll have this thing resolved soon though, in some matter or fashion! Stay Tuned!

4 Comments:

Blogger Willowtree said...

Frank, looks like the times came and got you intead of waiting for you to catch up!
I still have my monitorless 4GB thinkpad hehe. I was was able to get an HP in May, it's quite nice, but I miss my Acer. It works - kinda. The fan has stopped, and I couldnt type without burning my fingers and thighs up, then finally it would just shut out. I miss it :). How's it going? Did you fix something up or did you bite he bullet and use the newer comp? Hehe I cant believe you remembered that I'd often have to fix up my thinkpad haha

8:04 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

"Frank, looks like the times came and got you instead of waiting for you to catch up!"

Ha! That's funny! I imagine me at my computer, and the spirit of "The Times" ("Zeigeist" in German) coming up, and just grabbing my shoulders and snatching me right on outta there!

I was about a week with out Internet access at home (shudder), then I went to the used PC store, and tech explained to me my issues and that I could hook up another monitor. They even sold me a used, old box-style monitor, for $1!. So I hooked that up, and now I'll just use my other Vista-based (bleeghh!) laptop from my brother for outside the house.

Is your HP a desktop or laptop? I think that Acer is a laptop, right?

2:42 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

This is a laptop, I dont think I could invest in a desktop again until I have a *home office* the ** represents my dream bubble. I'd totally settle for a desk! My workspace is one of the livingroom couches with a large portable file folder in front and the printer behind! It's quite a travesty.
This computer has Win7 - I dont know it doesnt seem to be that far of a leap from vista, but Im sure there's alot that can be done (according to those commercials)but, I havent seen/found those things yet hehe I look forward to it - congrats for a $1 monitor!
Question - have you ever written a letter to Thomas Pynchon? Im wondering if he would even have such an avenue of communication available. Im learning that my fave (lahiri) has similar tendecies!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

No, I've never written a letter to Pynchon. His whole mystique lies around the fact that the issues he raises in his novels could be ground in many things, reality, the mind, a vague conspiracy, other forces; and so of course he won't answer letters and give away what he "really" thinks. I guess that's why essentially he's a recluse.

Being in NYC though, could you maybe contact Jhumpa after some visit by her to a Barnes & Noble, or some writer's board or other event where she's speaking some night? It might one way of making some contact with her. It's probably more of a longshot via the letter route (usually it's through the editor unless you have more direct access), although I'd certainly try that too.

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home