Friday, September 25, 2009

Home

This song reminds me of when I was in college, and on a trip for several weeks to the Yucatan in Mexico. A stranger amongst different people, a different language, a different culture, I remember walking by myself up to an abandoned, vine covered, fenced-off building in Merida, Mexico, which turned out to be an old abandoned U.S. Consulate office, and gripping the fence, staring at the building and its signs, and just thinking about home....


Home
Michael Buble

Another summer day
has come and gone away
in Paris or Rome...
but I wanna go home
mmmm...home

I may be surrounded by
a million people I
still feel all alone
just wanna go home
I miss you, you know

And I've been keeping all the letters
that I wrote to you,
each one a line or two
I'm fine baby, how are you?
I would send them, but I know that it's just not enough
my words were cold and flat
And you deserve more than that

Another aeroplane, another sunny place,
I'm lucky I know
but I wanna go home
I got to go home

Let me go home

I'm just too far, from where you are
I wanna come home


And I feel just like I'm living
someone else's life
It's like I just stepped outside
when everything was going right,
And I know just why you could not come along with me,
this was not your dream
but you always believed in me...

Another winter day
has come and gone away
in either Paris or Rome
and I wanna go home
Let me go home

And I'm surrounded by
a million people I
still feel alone
Let me go home
I miss you, you know

Let me go home
I've had my run,
baby I'm done
I gotta go home

Let me go home
it'll all be alright,
I'll be home tonight
I'm coming back home

7 Comments:

Blogger Willowtree said...

I just listened to this song a few nights ago. I dont know what hit me, and I decided to listen to some of the music in my itunes I had not listened to in quite a while. I had a Buble Block of 4 songs or so, by the time i discovered this song, I had just returned home, but I would still listen and feel the same conviction. Home was - and still is often times, a feeling for me, at least a great deal of the time. I love both my physical home, and my emotional home.
Hows it going Frank?

8:00 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

I guess this song's been around for a few years, but I only heard it quite recently. But, now no sounds are coming out of my Thinkpad; no beeps, no Itunes, nothing. I checked all the basic stuff, mute, volume, even did a system restore to 1 month ago. Do you have any ideas as to why I have no sounds whatsoever? I have a nice new laptop in a box my brother got me several years ago; I may have to pull that out for Itunes use, but I love this 'ol Thinkpad!

It's going fairly well, I guess. I submitted a draft thesis for review, had a few pretty positive comments so far, and should be graduating with an M.A. in December (Insha'allah!).

I was surprised at how much I missed home while on that short trip to Mexico. I had never really been away before. I think now I can sympathize more with immigrants here, who must often think of home; some going back years later, and some who never make it back. That takes some strength, amongst other things.

How are you, Willowtree? Did that Afghan guy from Denver make big news in NYC? It was pretty big here.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

Oh pretty big news here too Frank, led the news for a couple of days and still just about everyday there is a story - led the news here again today.
I hope goes well with your thesis submission - December will be here before you know it!
My Think pad doesnt have sound externally - if I plug in head phones, I can hear, but without head phones, there's nothing. I abused that poor comp so much - It was my very first lap top, I bought myself in 2001, but it STILL works - just have to hook it up to a monitor in order to see that hehe. The little thinkpad outlasted the completely dead dell. Haha, I think Thinkpads are one of the strongest brands. Did you try headphones in your computer Frank? Maybe if they dont work, you probably need a new sound card.
My latest obsession (seriously) is with the musical "In the Heights". I went to HS in Inwood which is litterally down the street from "the heights". It's beyond interesting to read the comments all over the place. The play is pretty well known now and very well recieved, won 4 tony awards, and yet all some people are willing to see is that a Puerto Rican (Lin-Manuel Miranda, who wrote the musical) is playing a Dominican (how dare he?)!! And that is just a travesty to end all travesties!
Luckily, the protests are few compared to the praise.
Im thinking about going to see it next year if I cant get there before November. The tickets will increase in price starting then, and I don't have increased ticket price money.
Until then, the music is great to listen to (on You Tube for free!). You get the gist of the whole story, and the performers are great.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

Hi Willowtree! I got my sound working again! I Googled the problem, and found a posting where someone said to hit the FN button in the lower left corner of the keyboard while also hitting the Page Up button in the upper right corner. That did it! I think I did this in reverse earlier back, while playing around, and banging all the keys, shutting off the sound. But it's back!

I saw something about "In the Heights" on a PBS channel recently (or it may have been one of those 1/2 hr. shows on contemporary Latino culture), but I wasn't paying much attention. I'm going to read up on it.

Was your HS one of those old NYC schools built in the 1920's -40's? For some reason, I have a big thing for the architecture of those schools. The wide staircases, the wooden bannisters, the marvelous outside facades. I went to an elementary school like that. They're slowly fading away; and the quality and materials that they were built with; you just know that we could never again build such bldgs. today.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

You know, I believe the building was built some time in the 20's, there was a convent beside it, by the time I went to school, there had been a fire and the convent was all sealed up. They rebuilt the school, but I think something from the original school was left in tact. I remember that year one of the custodians go into the convent and found some very beautiful paintings. I wonder what they did with those...

2:26 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

- oh, congrats on getting your sound back!

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home