Saturday, August 06, 2005

A Coney Island of the Mind (#8)

from the preface...
"The title of this book is taken from Henry Miller's INTO THE NIGHT LIFE. It is used out of context but expresses the way I felt about these poems when I wrote them - as if they were, taken together, a kind of Coney Island of the mind, a kind of circus of the soul. - L. F.
From 'Pictures of the Gone World' - Number 8
by
Lawrence Ferlinghetti

It was a face which darkness could kill
in an instant

a face as easily hurt
by laughter or light

'We think differently at night'
she told me once

lying back languidly

And she would quote Cocteau

'I feel there is an angel in me' she'd say
'whom I am constantly shocking'

Then she would smile and look away
light a cigarette for me
sigh and rise

and stretch
her sweet anatomy
let fall a stocking

3 Comments:

Blogger Willowtree said...

This poem is delicious

7:40 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

I think that it has that kind of film noir feeling, 1940's-50's, dark, smoky, and of course, sensual.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

I really dig this poem. I keep on coming back to read it. I think Im just finally going to copy it along with the Neruda one, and keep them in a folder on my computer.
I was thinking how easily this poem could probably be made into an IFC film short. Just in the style you described.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home