Friday, August 05, 2005

A Coney Island of the Mind (#20)

Willowtree,
Here's one I found from the Net-
I think I have this book at home. I'll look through it for more...
From 'A Coney Island of the Mind' - Number 20
by
Lawrence Ferlinghetti

The pennycandystore beyond the El
is where I first
fell in love
with unreality

Jellybeans glowed in the semi-gloom
of that september afternoon
A cat upon the counter moved among

the licorice sticks
and tootsie rolls
and Oh Boy Gum

Outside the leaves were falling as they died

A wind had blown away the sun

A girl ran in
Her hair was rainy
Her breasts were breathless in the little room

Outside the leaves were falling
and they cried
Too soon! too soon!

1 Comments:

Blogger Willowtree said...

Hey, thanks Frank, I liked it. It's simple, straightforward, and has good imagery. Im always happy to read poetry I can understand :). Thanks for posting, when you find your book, I hope you'll post more.

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home