Sunday, March 02, 2008

Krazy Aights













8 Things I’m Passionate About:

1. The welfare of children (copied from Willowtree, but true for me too!)

2. Fairness

3. Accuracy in thought and scholarship (i.e., hearing that Barack Obama is a Muslim, and then just running with it, would be one counter-example of just stupidness. Also, assuming that being Muslim is a problem; it is not.)

4. Reading (Russian novelists like Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy on one end, crazy UFO stuff on the other end of the spectrum)

5. Buying bargain books for reading at the Tattered Cover

6. Travel and learning about others - More of this by more of us, would lead to less of #3

7. Lasagna

8. That there is only one race, which is the human race, and that we are all related and have a common origin. Anthropology teaches me this, scientifically, and the best of Buddhism and Christianity confirm it for me, philosophically.

8 Things I Want To Do Before I Die:

1. Go to France
2. Get out of graduate school, for good
3. Hike the Appalachian Trail
4. Road trip across America
5. Teach young minds to be the best that they can be
6. Complete a Ph.D., maybe
7. Realize that a Ph.D. may not be all that it's cracked up to be
8. Read all of the classic literature that I haven't got to yet


8 Things I Often Say:

1. Get out of the city! (from Balki Bartakomous)
2. Wuh?
3. Wha Happened? (from A Mighty Wind)
4. Huh?
5. Ya better check yourself, before ya wreck yourself!
6. That's so stupid!
7. Are you going to eat that?
8. See that stop sign, genius?

8 Books I’ve Recently Read (°Or Am Still Reading; *Or want to read really soon):

1. Against The Day -Thomas Pynchon

2. Anna Karennina - Leo Tolstoy

3. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

4. Short Stories of Anton Chekov

5. Liberating the Gospels - John Shelby Spong (reading now)

6. Gang Leader For A Day - Subrir Venkatesh

7. Confrontation At Lepanto - TCF Hopkins

8. My Battle of Algiers - Ted Morgan



8 Songs I Could Listen To Over And Over:

1. Always and Forever - Heatwave
2. Arms of the Angel - Sara McLachlan
3. Don't Know Why - Norah Jones
4. Melissa - Allman Bros.
5. One More Silver Dollar - Allman Bros.
6. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright - Bob Dylan
7. Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell
8. Mainstreet - Bob Seger


8 Things That Attract Me To My Best Friends:

1. Intelligence
2. Caring
3. Kind heartedness
4. Curiosity
5. Humour
6. Courage
7. Open-minded
8. Independent

3 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

hurray for lasagne. Maybe I'll make that really soon. hmmm.....

yes and you might be right about the Ph.D but somehow, that's hard to believe.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

I actually know the first 3 songs on your could play over and over list. Have two of them in my i tunes.

Accuracy in thought and scholarship?
What a great concept!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

The more Ph.D's you meet though, GC, I think the easier it is to believe, that the Ph.D might not be all it's cracked up to be. I really like NPR's Sara Vowell's take on this, when she talks about meetings some "Goths", where she says that meeting with them was much like being in graduate school, except that these people were smart and interesting. Ha! Almost fell over when I heard that one!

Those songs aren't necessarily by rank, I would say,Willowtree, but when "Don't Know Why" came out, I can remember sitting by the radio one night, just switching stations over and over to hear it again. It only came out a few years ago, but when it did, it seemed like a song from another time period or era. It makes me think of being at a deserted Coney Island amusment park, on the beach, even though I've never been to anything like that. A little haunting, and a little beautiful.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home