Sunday, June 24, 2007

Michael Moore and "Sicko"










The above is a photo of activist Michael Moore on the west steps of the Colorado state capitol, taken by myself with my new $10, match-box sized digital camera (-the bottom right is apparently dominated by a lady's hat. I never claimed I was a professional photographer-). For the Denver crowd, dark-haired news reporter Raj Chohan faces Moore and is asking a stupid question, and attorney/activist Michael Huttner appears at the bottom left, with hand on chin.

After Moore gave his speech to the gathered crowd of Coloradoans on the sorry state of health care in this country, which is the subject of his new movie, "Sicko" (opens Friday 29th), the press was invited up on to the steps in order to ask Moore some face to face questions. Being as I had a new $10 digital camera, as well as being the author of this blog, I felt that I had sufficient credentials to be regarded as "press", should anyone ask ("You've never heard of 'Fiat Lux'? Unhand me you knave, I'm with the alternative press! Have you never heard of bloggers?"). So I followed the herd up the steps, in order primarily to test the camera out. Seems like it works pretty well! You can fine tune settings and exposures for the best picture possible, which I'll have to learn about, but it took a pretty good picture, I'd say.

Moore seemed a little tired at first, and a little unsure about what to say, how to start out, but then he really got rolling, especially when including the war in Iraq along with the sorry state of American health care as just a further example of the nexus of plutocracy, incompetency, and and criminality that has now become entrenched as never before, thanks to Bush Incorporated. Moore is hoping this time, as opposed to when his film "Farenheit 9/11" opened in 2004, that the American people may have just learned a little something in these past few years, so that the propaganda efforts directed against that film will no longer work today with "Sicko"; as we now know (and some of us always did!) that "Farenheit 9/11" spoke the truth. I can't wait to see the film, and it is certainly time that America joins the rest of a civilised world which provides universal health care to its citizens as a human right, and not just as a commodity to be afforded only to a priviliged minority. Moore thinks that it is now only a matter of time until the country sees the light on this issue, and I think he's right. We may well see universal healthcare in our lifetimes, as it only makes sense, in so many ways.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

here here! or is it hear hear?
I don't know but your photography is lovely considering you only just got the camera.
And you joke about it but you ARE a part of the alternative press so thanks for the report and I am waiting with baited breath (or is it bated?) for the film to open.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

And is it ARE or OUR? -
Thanks for the nice words on my post, and you're right; we bloggers have helped keep the media straight these past few years, so we all should keep up the good work!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

Hey Frank, I knew there was a reason why I got my computer back today.
Scooter Libby's sentence commuted!!!!!

What the Hell???

I think I heard you scream all the way over here

(btw, I will be reading your post, but just had to get your reaction to this bit of news.)

It's- whoa. Why do we even have police anymore?

3:52 PM  
Blogger Willowtree said...

ok, Im back- a $10 digital cam, that takes photos like that? Not bad at all!
I really would like to see Sicko too, Ive seen snipetts on You Tube, and could do nothing but shake my head. Ive been dealing with medicaid in this country for 5 years now, and the whole thing is...amazing, amazingly frustrating.
I expect anger lots of anger, and then something bright will flash and no one will remember. I sure hope that doesnt happen, but that's a pattern in this country.
Everyone forgets...

4:14 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrggGGGGHHH!!!

Yes, that was me screaming!

I'm really hoping that this just creates a feeling of national outrage, but like you say about health care, one second later, people forget.

Everyone in America is now due one "Get Out Of Jail Free" card - courtesy of King George, who today just abolished the judicial system in favor of his personal feelings and whims.

On the other hand though, Cheney/Bush have to protect their "boys", because Scooter, Gonzales and the rest of the gang will sing like canaries, if they don't get their "deals", and are forced to do hard time. Unreal.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home