Sunday, December 21, 2008

I Saw 3 Of These Bad Boys On Friday




















While driving after work through an upscale Denver suburb with large homes, each situated on acres of land, in a somewhat semi-rural environment within the city, I noticed something that looked to me like a wolf standing at a chained-driveway to suburban mega-church, just watching traffic go by. I pulled around the block to enter the parking lot and return to where I saw the "wolf", and when I got there and parked, I noticed that what was in fact a coyote had moved over to the other side of a small ravine behind the church. He stared at me, then started to walk away, when I then began to "howl", in order to keep his attention. His ears popped up, just as they had been at the chained-driveway, and he cocked his head as if to say, "why are you doing that?". As soon as I had howled, then 2 more coyotes appeared from the bottom of the ravine, and followed the first coyote over the crest of the ravine so that they could then be hidden from my view.

Coyotes are an increasing issue in Denver and other similar such cities. Only a month earlier, a coyote bit a 10 yr. old boy in a suburb just north of Denver, who had been playing in the snow with a friend in back of their house which was connected to a large field and open area. And, I've had dear friends whose collies were mauled to death by coyotes who came into the back yard, in the middle of the Denver metro area! I hope that somehow though, we can come to some sort of agreement with them. A lady in the area (which is across from a middle-school!) who had witnessed the coyotes with me, labeled them as 'majestic', with their heavy winter coats that make them appear to be more wolf-like than they would usually look. I experienced almost this feeling of "sadness" coming from that first coyote as I stared into its eyes, a conveyed feeling as if he were being hunted constantly in his efforts to avoid mankind in the middle of a major metro area. This is a rich area in which I spotted these coyotes, and rich people do not like having their pets killed, let alone having their small children potentially endangered on the way to school, and they have ways of getting things done as they would like. And these are not foxes; no these animals have been in fact known to go after small children in the right sort of situation. I don't know though, maybe a combination of population control and removal, as well as education, can allow us both to live in the same areas in relative peace. At least I would like to think so. Because they are indeed a majestic sight to behold.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

it's a tough balance to maintain
lots of people don't like living in cities but they also don't feel like the creatures they displace as they build their homes have a right to bite back

12:56 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

I noticed the other day that we have a lot of geese that land in the same area and feed on the grass. I hope they are sufficient to keep those coyotes busy -and out of trouble!

11:45 PM  
Blogger Åñèè§å said...

hi frank it'll been a while......how have you been????

well I started a new blog the other day....

as for your post....it seems humans are taking away land from animals....so they don't have much places to go..... i hope things work out for them.....

well give me a shout out....it'll be nice to hear from you again

8:36 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

Hey Aneesa, how've you been? What's new in T & T? Are you still driving all over the place? And what's the new blog address?

1:03 PM  
Blogger Åñèè§å said...

I'm ok
well alots new in T&T

the new address is
http://aneesa13.blogspot.com/

Yeah i'm still driving lol

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home