Friday, September 23, 2005

San Francisco

Another "beat" influenced poem.

San Francisco

Ocean breezes float hazily above
the friendly little row houses
snuggling together side by side
up and down Russian Hill

down on Columbus Avenue
on summer afternoons
the Italian men chat
furiously back and forth
in sidewalk cafes
about this and that

and where North Beach meets Chinatown
is a third floor tenement apartment
Kerouac is that you up there?
looking down at me
as I head toward Chinatown
the dragon heart
of ol' San Fran

where grandfathers take for walks
their 4 yr. old grandaughters
adorned with flowers in hair
and shiny black shoes
walking hand in hand
the past and the future
on Golden Gate afternoons

3 Comments:

Blogger Willowtree said...

Your poems are very visual, I really like those.

We have a chinatown here too! Acutally a couple.
There are roasted ducks hanging in the window.
When Im with my friend's kids that is their favorite part. Sometimes, they only want to go and see the ducks in the window.
hehe

12:22 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

I guess no Chinatown is complete without roasted ducks in the window! I love San Francisco, even though I'm from, and in Denver. Thought of going to school there, but it was too expensive, and probably was just easier to get around here than the traffic of that (wonderful) city.

I like trying to capture moments, so that others can experience what I did. Myabe that's why these have a visual quality...

9:32 PM  
Blogger Åñèè§å said...

this makes me want to go there.... :) nice poem

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home